Weekend Getaway to Venice

Canal

Going to Venice was something I have been wanting to do for a long time. Over and over again people would say that it’s a city you have to see at least once in your life…and they were right. Jared and I were joking about Ft. Lauderdale (where we lived prior to moving to Italy) being called “The Venice of the Americas”. Although it does have a lot of waterways compared to other cities in the States, still there is no comparison to the real thing. Literally everything is done on boats- transporting people and goods from one side of the island to the other (i.e. water taxis). I had never been in a city before where I didn’t see one single car.

Overlooking Bridge

We had a short 2-night stay on the island of Venice for the long, holiday Easter weekend. We knew it would be a bit crowded during this time, but we didn’t care. We stayed in the perfect location, walking distance from everything in an Airbnb that was perfect for us. It had a spacious bathroom, with separate bedroom, and living area. We were staying in San Marco, so if you are not familiar with the island, this is right in the middle, next to the Canal Grande.

To get to Venice, we took Trenitalia from Roma to Venezia on a Saturday. They usually have buy one, get one free deals if leaving on Saturday, so that’s usually what we try to do when going out of town. The train ride was only 3.5 hours long.

The next morning, we woke up at the crack of dawn, to catch photos of the city while the world was still sleeping. It was so peaceful walking through an empty Venice, I wish we could make it a habit to wake up that early more often.

Here are some photos JaredΒ took that morning…

La Casabloga - Gondole - April 16

What If We Blog - Venice Bridge - April 16

Canal Grande

Doge's Palace

Doge’s Palace

Although we didn’t get to do a gondola ride this time around (it’s €80!!!), we did do plenty of walking and sight-seeing around the island. We were actually surprised at how much there was to see there. We wish we would have stayed an extra day to cover more ground.

What If We Blog - Canal - April 16

What If We Blog - Venice - April 16

DSC09920

dock

red shirt

red shirt

Traveling to these different cities reminds me that the possibilities are endless. Never would I have thought to be here, in Italy, with the love of my life. We are incredibly blessed to be experiencing such an amazing country together.

“I haven’t been everywhere. But it’s on my list”– Susan Sontag

All my love,
Estrella

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “Weekend Getaway to Venice

1. The Wayfarer says:

Those early morning pictures look amazing. The light is just incredible!
    Also I can’t believe a gondola ride is 80 euro… I remember we were quoted a price of 35 euro… per person… 10 years ago… hehe.

Yes, it such a touristy thing to do and that’s why they can get away with charging so much…but we are broke teachers sooo haha. Anyway, the soft light during the early hours always make for the best pictures, doesn’t it tho?

2. mexploring says:

OMG, those photos are just love! Falling in love with Venice – even though I’ve there couple of times πŸ™‚ the power of the picture!
    my Venice has been non-romantic as it can be. I visited it with my guest family while being au-pair in Germany. Imagine 2 German families with kids, in the middle of June day – and Venice. Aha, this is not that romance they were talking about! hehe. Next time I visited it in February, after the carnival. Cold, grey, lonely – but this time I got its soul. To me it’s very melancholic. And being kinda melancholic myself I prefer bolder cities like Florence. But Venice is special, anyway. Sorry for righting a novel in your comment field πŸ™‚

No, no worries! I love hearing your stories. And yes, I agree. Visiting with an au-pair family is not exactly the most romantic but still, at least you got a chance to visit. Same for when we went, it was rainy and cloudy most of the time. I can see how it would be a bit sad if you are alone but nonetheless, it’s still beautiful. Florence is wonderful also, although it was raining almost the whole day the one time we went there too! Hope to go again and give it another chance.

• mexploring says:

Still I am glad I have my own story of Venice, no fluffy stereotypes πŸ˜†πŸ˜† it is so special when it rains. Less people, less tourists, more authentic. I was in Firenze in summer, so wonderful weather and crowds all in one package πŸ™‚ and more optimistic than Venice. Venice is an old melancholic lady πŸ˜‰

lol that’s an interesting way of looking at it. And yes your story is unique to you and no one else I love it. It’s true that the weather makes for less people but we were there for easter weekend so there were crowds everywhere. Not complaining. It was still a great time.

• mexploring says:

Trying to do the best of it, you know! (Of course, in depths of my soul all I want is a cheesy romantic tour with gondola and all those clichesπŸ˜†πŸ™Š). Oo, easter weekend sounds like croooowds. Wish you to come back again. And me too πŸ™‚

Yes, you never know. Maybe when we do find ourselves there, we will be there at the same time. What would be the odds? And the cheesy romantic tour with gondola sounds quite nice actually πŸ˜‰

3. coatandcoffee says:

Sounds like you had a great time! I love all the photos you have, and it’s definitely on my list. I still think you are so lucky to be able to travel around all of Italy! Ahhhh the life haha. Getting up super early is always the best plan to get great photos, and I always have such high hopes for myself. But it usually never happens! ;p

-Emily http://www.coatandcoffee.com

Thanks Emily. I know, don’t we all wish we could wake up at 6.30 am without any problems? haha, we will have to do that at least once before we leave Rome this summer. And yes, traveling around Italy is the best because Italy has it all: the beaches, mountains, history, culture, etc.

4. fkasara says:

I agree with the other commenters: those early morning pictures are amazing 😍 It’s great that you chose to get up early in the morning to enjoy a quiet Venice!

I live not very far from Venice and I can tell that gondolas are only for tourists…there are very few Italians that agree to pay that much for a gondola ride. A tip, however, is to wait for other tourists and ask them to join you, so to split the cost.

Great article, I’ll make sure to follow your blog πŸ™‚

Ciao,