Goodbye Winter

Valentino

I refuse to believe that mid-March is already knocking on our door. This winter was our first in nearly 5 years living in Miami, which I was sort of looking forward to, but without regard it seems to be moving on as quickly as it arrived. In contrast to how quickly winter as fleeted, I think I often fail to realize how fortunate I am to be able to live at such a slow pace compared to how my life was a year ago. I used to stress about finding enough time or energy to accomplish anything else outside of work, whereas nowadays, my day to day routine usually consists of a 30 minute workout, working on my blog or YouTube channel, catching up on emails, and teaching for 1 or maybe 2 hours a day.

Despite the life of leisure I’ve enjoyed lately, it has left me thinking a lot. Thinking about questions to which my response is always uncertain. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve responded “I don’t know” to questions asked in regards to “what’s after Italy?”. I don’t intentionally respond this way to keep information hidden as if I don’t want to share information with family or friends, but because at this point in my life, the answers aren’t as clear as I would like them to be.

Over the last year, deciding to come to Italy was the most concrete plan we have had since last year. Everything else Jared and I do are decisions we make day to day. Hell…I think we are even going skiing this weekend and that was just decided a couple nights ago with plans still unmade. This is what I mean.

As I reflect on our 8 months abroad, in some ways, I feel like I’ve lost bits and pieces of who I am, or who I thought I was. I no longer crave putting on or buying new makeup like I used to. My wardrobe has gone from a closet full to literally 4 shelves of the same pants and long sleeved tops I wear on a daily basis. It’s challenging. My blog has gone from starting as a style blog to a lifestyle/travel blog, because I feel like I have more to contribute to in those areas than just what I’m wearing and the latest trends…because there are more important things than that.

I can’t quite figure out if I am truly happy living this minimal lifestyle or if these materialistic things are what I need to keep my heart happy. I have been literally living out of a suitcase for almost a year now. I feel like I’ve been doing this long enough to know if it’s for me or not, and yet I’m still indifferent. Part of me hates it and part of me loves the feeling of owning less possessions. Where would you stand?

On another front, I’m still sick, which I have been since last week (another sinus infection). Outside is starting to feel more like spring, although the mornings and nights are quite cold and the afternoon unmistakably warm. Rome…make up your mind!

spagnaspagna

The above pictures were taken right before the Rome Bloggers meet-up I hosted at The Beehive last weekend. I’m thinking of writing a post specific to Rome Bloggers next and introducing you to this passion project I’ve been working on so diligently since October.

Hope you are all well!

Remember…”the best gift you can give yourself is a lifetime of adventure“.

All my love,
Estrella

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “Goodbye Winter

1. TheFallibleQueen says:

I felt the same way, a lot of the things I owned held sentimental value so I didn’t want to throw anything away. I realized how unhealthy it was, it started to feel suffocating. So I made the choice to get rid of a lot of clothes I kept for years, trinkets too and there’s something so liberating and refreshing about doing that. I’m far from minimalistic but I’ve made some moderate changes in it’s helped a lot. Our value shouldn’t be found in things but of experiences, eternal things not temporary. I’m currently trying to minimize my closet as well or at the very least not buy any new clothes for a long time. I believe there is beauty in the unknown, you’ll get there and it is/will be a beautiful adventure :). I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Thank you so much. I’m glad you can relate. Looking at how I lived before I never thought I would be living how I am today but it’s a great feeling to let go of those wants to realize you don’t actually need them. One of those things is a car. I do not miss driving at all, lol. Thanks so much for reading.

2. The Wayfarer says:

Moving abroad really helps you par down the unnecessary stuff in your life! It’s a hard force to reckon with, because I still constantly want to go shopping and buy new things. But I think it’s ultimately a good thing to live with less. Much better for the environment and for luggage fees ๐Ÿ˜›

lol very true! Makes traveling a lot easier as I don’t have to worry about bringing too much along time and time again. But I too have cravings for material objects, I just don’t splurge as much as I used to. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. thecurioussparrow says:

I feel the same way. Travelling means being portable and flexible. Sacrifices must be made. I feel content and proud that I have stripped away the materialism that used to bog me down.

I don’t tell people how to spend their money or judge them for it but for me, clothes and makeup and shoes I bought but didn’t need or didn’t make use of seem so wasteful now. That money could have gone on an experience, on travelling, on exploring, on a fantastic meal…

Good post, a lot of your points resonate with me

Yes totally agree. I don’t even think about spending my money on those kinds of things anymore. Travel and experiences are worth more than any other material object, there’s actually been studies shown that this is true and results to greater happiness.

4. Emily says:

I often feel this too. That’s why as much as I want to move abroad, I am kind of glad I have a home base in America. To come back to all my precious things that I enjoy! However, if I did move abroad, I would definitely have a concrete plan of when I was to come home, etc. I am such a planner! Not having plans would give me so much anxiety haha. Maybe you guys can just try coming up with some pros and cons together, and sort of think on them. After all, there is adventure everywhere! You could always try a more modern and materialistic city such as London.

-Emily http://www.coatandcoffee.com

Yes being in another country definitely has its pros and cons. Anyway I look at our time here as a once in a lifetime adventure and definitely a decision I do not regret, however I miss having a “home base” and a space to call my own. The only plans we really have as of right now is that we are coming back to the states in June. We hope to make a trip out to the west coast sometime this year too!

5. Christina Cusumano says:

Living a minimalistic lifestyle is something I have thought about here and there, and lately it seems like something that I would love to venture towards. Plus, I’ve always dreamed of living in Italy. Safe to say that I look forward to reading more of your posts!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Thank you Christina. If you are serious about the venture of living here, feel free to ask me any questions you’d like. I’m an open book! As far as being minimal, it’s a slow and steady process. You have to get rid of things at a time, not all at once. I think that’s where it was hard for me was going from living in my own place with everything within arms reach to now only having a suitcase worth of my belongings to call my own. In any case, good luck with your venture!

6. alisxlisxx says:

I’ve been fortunate enough to never really have much of a hectic life, although it seems that you’ve really switched things up! The most ‘busy’ I’ve ever felt was a couple of years ago, during my college studies. For the past six months or so, my life has slowed down considerably and I quite like it. I don’t feel rushed to do anything, and my blog post schedule is probably the only thing that really gives me much stress. I can’t imagine what it must be like to do a full 360 and to immerse yourself in a completely new lifestyle – as well as living somewhere so different to where you’re originally from! It must be such an unusual (yet good) change.

-Alicia x

http://www.serenitylifeblog.com | Lifestyle & Advice

Thank you for reading Alicia. I agree. Life is much slower now than it used to be a year ago when I was working full time and trying to manage my blog, while planning our move overseas. It was quite stressful and I’m so glad that I can breathe now and take each day one at a time. Living here has been such a great experience. I would encourage anyone to immerse themselves in a new culture and country at least once in their lives. It’s the ultimate learning experience.

• alisxlisxx says:

You’re really welcome! I’m glad that since the move, you’ve found life to be at a more leisurely pace. If we spend our time rushing around, we don’t get to appreciate life for what it is. Hopefully one day, I will also be able to experience another culture and learn from it, as you have.

7. GlossyU says:

It’s good to try new experiences. I love Rome. Anyway, traveling is better than spending money on clothes. ๐Ÿ™‚

You look gorgeous and I love your outfit. Your skirt is perfect. I just love it!