If you have been following my blog for the past couple of months, you know that I like to keep active whether it be in the gym, doing yoga, or riding bikes along the beach.
I was finally able to get up early enough this Sunday to take advantage of the FREE yoga class Mellow Mushroom offers every weekend. For those of you who don’t know what Mellow Mushroom is…Mellow Mushroom is the best funky-decored, pizza place you will ever find. They have really unique and absolutely delicious recipes for a wide variety of pies….but enough about food. We are really here to talk about fitness and ways to stay in shape so keep reading!
I didn’t really start getting into yoga until I moved to South Florida about 3.5 years ago. At the time, I was really into Bikram (hot yoga) but I ended up taking a break shortly after. A little over a year ago my passion for yoga was revitalized after discovering free yoga classes were offered at a park not far from where I lived!
The benefits of yoga and why you should give it a try:
- Improves your flexibility – this is the most obvious benefit of yoga but it will certainly get rid of all those back pains and help with proper alignment of muscles all over your body.
- Relaxes your system – yoga helps you relax, breathe slower, and focus on the present moment. Once your done, you feel much more relaxed and rejuvenated.
- Increases your blood flow – many of the relaxation exercises you go through help with the blood flow in your hands and feet and promote more oxygen throughout the body.
- Helps you stay focused – regular yoga practice improves coordination, reaction time, memory, and even IQ scores!
- Makes you happier – consistent yoga practice improves depression and leads to an increase in serotonin levels.
If you still not convinced then…
just try it to enjoy the beautiful outdoors and make new friends. You will actually be surprised to find out how many yoga classes are taught near you for free or even at a very good introductory price for beginners! Many of them are taught by certified instructors and the classes are typically by donation only. Just simply take the time to do your research and see what is offered in your area.
I would like to know what is your preferred method of working out or staying fit? Are you a yogi or more of a gym rat? Leave me your comments below! I would love to hear them.